Geeks With Blogs
Saif Khan { I am Saif } "Knowledge is power, information is free, share it!"

Last week was a pretty hectic week. Started off well, then I got a call around 9:15 PM on Monday evening from a colleague saying that he noticed some mails still in his outbox. After relaxing for a few minutes (dude...I'd just got home) I connected to the server. I noticed everthing was extremely sloooooow. Every window I opened up took forever to launch. So I decided to check the "Task Manager" processes. I noticed the GFIScanM.exe was racing away at 100% CPU cycle. I then tried to check the mail queue but the server was so unresponsive...I decided to reboot.

After the server was rebooted the same thing was hapenning. I then head down to the office. I killed the process, in order to get the Exchange System Manager to open. I noticed nothing in my queue. In the mean time this annoying (at the time) GFIScanM.exe process keeps automatically restarting. I tried stopping all GFI services...same thing. There were no errors in the event log. Since GFI support ends at 5PM, which to me is absolutely ridiculous, I had to start battling this alone.

None of the following worked

  • Downloaded new version of GFIMailSecurity and installed on the server.
  • Multiple Restarts
  • Removed and replaced the GFI entries on the Windows DEP Exception list. read more about that here.
  •   Digging GFI KB (nothing at the time)
  • Checking if debug mode was enabled
  • Dismount my store and re-mount, which didn't make any sense but it was now 2AM and soon employees will start looking for mails.
  • I even run a backup on the store and checked my SAN for any errors, nothing.

  • I then rolled out a brand new spanking server, configured it as a Mail Relay (some of you call it smart host) for this Exchange box and installed GFIMailSecurity then migrated my settings, re-configured routers...the whole 9 yards...and guess what...same crap! The GFIScanM.exe was doing 100% even on this brand new server.

I went home at 5AM got some zzzz and got on the phone with GFI support. At around 1PM, as per the GFI support tech, I uninstalled GFIMailSecurity, deleted all the folders in the "C:\Program Files\GFI" directory. I was reluctant at first as I didn't want to loose my settings, anyway I bit the bullet and did. After a brand new installation everything was normal. It turned out to be something corrupted in my settings.

I learned 2 things during this ordeal

  • Don't put all your eggs in one basket in the first place. If I had a relay server in the first place, the Mail Store could've been online and my users could've at least use outlook and I could've swapped a temporary AV.
  • A reminder of how important email is becoming in today's business arena.

Good luck!


Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 7:50 PM | Back to top

Comments on this post: GFIScanM.exe using 100% CPU - My Mail Server went South on me!

# re: GFIScanM.exe using 100% CPU - My Mail Server went South on me!
Requesting Gravatar...
Hi Saif,

I'm Brian, Product Manager for MailSecurity. I'm glad your mail flow is back to normal. Wanted to let you know that I'm working with the developers and support so that GFI MailSecurity handles corrupted settings more gracefully in the future.

Brian Azzopardi

Left by Brian Azzopardi on Feb 16, 2009 11:07 PM

# re: GFIScanM.exe using 100% CPU - My Mail Server went South on me!
Requesting Gravatar...
A couple or nice fellows over at GFI did contact me and asked to send my old configurations over for them to inspect. I did send them the entire "ContentSecurity" folder. Hopefully they'll be able to resolve this.
Left by Saif Khan on Mar 01, 2009 10:14 AM

Your comment:
 (will show your gravatar)

Copyright © saifkhan | Powered by: